Podcast Promotion and Monetisation: how to grow your audience & revenue

You’ve got your podcast up and running. Now it’s time to think long-term - how can I make some money off this?
Join Lorcan Fidgeon, Membership Consultant from the Independent Media Academy (IMA), and Valentina Kaledina, Business Development Manager at Castbox, as they offer their expert advice on how to promote your podcast to grow your audience, while at the same time asking your growing community to support you.

Please feel free to ask any questions or comments in this thread that you may have from the webinar. Lorcan & Katie will be here to offer any advice to help you on your membership journey for your podcast.
Don’t forget to enter the IMA for Podcasters here for your chance to win expert consulting and €2500!!

3 Likes

Useful links and resources for Podcasters

Making the most of Steady - Podcasters

Interview ‘it helps to keep talking about money’

Interview with The Pod on their success

Who would pay money for a free podcast?

Offer exclusive episode with the RSS feed

IMA for Podcasters

Heya!

Thank you so much for the webinar earlier today. =)

One question concerning the IMA for Podcasters: I was taken aback by the fact that the podcast needs to already have a reach of 10.000 followers weekly to apply?

The programme feels to me like a startup-like kickoff, so I thought I might give it a try, but I haven’t even published my first episode yet (in the works), so no reach at all for now.

Also, well, if I had that big a following I probably wouldn’t need the help of IMA or 2.5k any more (not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but, yeah …).

What’s your take on this? And will there be another run next year?

Cheers!

Hi Julia,

Lorcan here from Steady! This reach is indeed rather high, so we have removed this stipulation, thank you for pointing this out. Sorry for confusion, and as I mentioned on the webinar, we do have a range of podcasts in terms of audience size.

However, having a community is still very important in order for a membership program to work. In the beginning stages of your podcasting journey, it’s really important to focus on building up that audience. There’s a few ideas that may help here: https://blog.steadyhq.com/build-and-foster-your-community-with-these-simple-tips-accc2bd7da4

My take on your comment around audience size, is yes, a large podcast affiliated with a traditional publishing house probably wouldn’t need the help of the IMA. Independent podcasts come in many shapes and sizes though, and hands on help can be beneficial to many podcasters.

We hope is another run next year, certainly! We’d love to see your application come through, and we’ll make sure you get the help you need to start you on your podcast journey!

Cheers,
Lorcan

1 Like

Good morning Lorcan!

Such good news! Thank you for this, and I’ll surely apply when there is a community to speak of around the project. :blush:

You do have a point here, of course! I assumed podcasts with lots of followers already have a decent community strategy, but it’s equally possible things just somehow came to be, organically, and the key question is: Where do we go from here? So yep, I get it.

Thank you also for the link! I’ll check it out.
Julia